Tuesday, March 6, 2012

First Gear Review: Speedfil A2

Quick update on the knee. Still not getting any better. Felt worse after the 4-hour bike ride on Sunday. I've decided that I should stop cycling and stick to swimming for the time-being. Hello parched skin.

I did some reading about the best position and aerodynamic effect of water bottle location on a bike. The best place to put it according to the study, was in-between the aerobars at the front of the bike. Apparently, it actually provided an aerodynamic benefit. Thus, during the Washington Half last year I rigged up a standard 24 oz water bottle between rubber-bands in a quasi-web between the aerobars. Unfortunately, within 25 yards of starting the bike section, I hit a speed bump and ejected the water bottle. Since it provided the basis of my nutrition for the next 3 hours, I had to stop and run back to retrieve it - extremely frustrating.

Due to that episode, I've been on the prowl for a better option. At long last, I found the Speefil A2 hydration system. The creator ingeniously developed a water tight screw top that fits all specialized-size water bottles, allows on-the-bike refills, and has a bite-valve straw to easily drink while riding. Once it arrived, I eagerly washed everything and after drying assembled it all. There is a natural bend in the straw due to the way it is packaged so I used that to aim the straw down towards the bottom of the bottle and tapered the end to make it easier to suck up the last of whatever liquid it is holding. I cut the straw so that it just extends out the front of the bottle and into the elbow joint. I left the balance of the straw to provide some flexibility if I decided to change the orientation of the bottle.

I kept the top of the bottle forward and used the velcro strap to hold the bottle at its dimple between the narrow section of the aerobars. To provide additional stability, I weaved the bottle through some rubber bands (6). The issue I faced last year is moot because the velcro provided a solid, rigid base and the rubber bands kept it in place but allowed some give. Rubber bands also work with this arrangement because the bottle will be static, I won't have to remove it to drink and then worry about threading it back through the rubber bands to keep it in place. Other people have mounted bottle cages to the bike but if I don't have to, I'm not going to. I'll post pictures soon. It sits a bit more forward on the bike than I'd like but still permits me to use my Garmin 310xt mounted on the stem.


On the road results
I have been able to use it twice during multiple hour rides (here and here) and I must say, it works marvelously with my favorite endurance beverage (Hammer Perpetuem). The connection to the bike and natural bumps in the road keep my Perpetuem mixed and the A2 doesn't flinch. It rattles a little in chunky parts of the road but never leaked and performed flawlessly. The only issue I have is tucking the straw into a rubber band when not taking a drink; sometimes it gets wedged a little too tightly and takes more effort than desired to become free. I have yet to try and refill it while on the bike but will try that during my next long ride (whenever that is).

The A2 retails for $59.95, not cheap and more expensive than many of the Profile Design options but is more aerodynamic and doesn't have the mounting issues I've heard many others lament when dealing with aerobar-mounted hydration system.

tl;dr: highly recommended!

No comments:

Post a Comment