Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Maryland Swim for Life

Since the knee injury, and more recently, the hip injury, I've not really been able to schedule any triathlons not knowing when I'd be able to return to action. Since swimming is significantly less impact, I opted to enroll in the 5-Mile Edition of the Maryland Swim for Life.

The weekend prior I did a 4-mile swim in Wilson Pool and although it was a long time in the pool, it wasn't particularly difficult. The actual swim last Saturday was another beast entirely. The start was delayed by an hour due to storms in the area. This also meant that the 5-Miler would be cancelled and reduced to a 4-mile swim, to my chagrin.

Finally, though, the the kayaks were launched and the first wave entered the water.


Immediately, it was clear that this would be no stroll. The current was strong and it felt like every time I looked up to sight I was a little off course and barely moving forward. Then, around the first buoy at .5 miles, my feet and calves started cramping up. This only ever happens after more than a couple miles and usually only when I push off the wall after a flip turn in the pool. When my feet were cramping I couldn't use my legs at all and resorted to an upper body stroke. When they weren't cramping, I could only muster a very light kick to try and avoid the cramping. Add to that, for some reason my right hip was hurting whenever I kicked. Big suck-fest.

I continued to pick-off turnaround buoys and was excitedly arriving at my turn-around buoy 2 miles out. I reached it and started heading back to shore. And then, after about 5 minutes it happened. The tide started coming in. That hour delay created a hell of a penalty. Sonufabitch. The tide created a nice chop in the water further arresting progress and meaning I would essentially be swimming upstream both directions. My spirit sank a bit but I was resolute to continue.

I grabbed some water from a kayaker in hopes it would alleviate the cramps. It didn't. But I kept going. Little by little and finally reached shore. Garmin results here. Looking at the map, I didn't stray too far from the line but you can definitely see all my small corrections along the way.

I was also warned ahead of time that most of the people doing this swim were members of Masters and other swim teams and I shouldn't expect to come close to the top. Goddamn right. It was my worst performance ever as it relates to a starting wave of which I've been a member. But fuck it, I'm injured.

After finishing, I was completely gassed. It was like a 2+ hour power workout. The next day, I was sore everywhere. Shoulders, abs, lower back, triceps and my right shoulder joint really hurt. I'm sure everything will get better shortly but I may have to reconsider my swim of the English Channel. I'm signed up for the Nation's Triathlon Aquabike but it remains to be seen whether or not I will participate. Maybe I can get on a relay team instead. Shitty swim finishing pictures (oh, and not running and biking adds 10 pounds):


No comments:

Post a Comment