Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Shit's about to get real

Started the first of my planned Saturday/Sunday back to back long run training sessions.  Went for 1.5 hours (11 Miles) easy on Saturday.  Not at all sore afterward and followed that up with 1 hour (7.5 Miles) with more effort on Sunday.  Slightly sore/fatigued today but I think that is more from the intensity I added.

I set up my training plan based upon Hal Higdon’s Comrades arrangement peaking with 75 mile weeks and 5+ hours running on back-to-back days.  Fuck.  The idea is to simulate the fatigue your leg muscles will feel after running such a long event.  I am hoping this 6 months goes by quickly (and injury-free) because I’ll be killing myself.  Plan is to do speed work with DC Tri on Wednesday nights and actually put in the recommended training volume.  I slacked in my previous marathon training, adhering mostly to weekend long runs but hopefully more dedication will yield better results.  Goal is to finish within 9:30, thus earning the Bill Rowan belt buckle.

I also received an email from Comrades that provided local contacts for the event, quasi ambassadors.  I reached out the to one for DC and was invited to join the Arlington Road Runners club because there are a fair number of good hills along Custis Trail.  The person I emailed, Laura Otten, also copied me in with Tom Evans and Hamilton Costa, experienced Comrades runners.  Without knowing these people, I have a feeling I am going to be on the very young end of runners for this event.   

No comments:

Post a Comment