Thursday, December 29, 2011

Better sooner rather than later?

Shit.

Since I messed up and didn't run on Sunday, I tried to get back on track by doing a long run on Monday, followed by 5 easy miles on Tuesday and the a speed workout at the Chagrin Falls HS track on Wednesday.  Big mistake.

It was a little above freezing with 1.5-2 inches of snow/slush on the track and I took 1.5 miles to warm-up.  Plan was to do a Hanson Speed Workout comprised of 4 reps of 3/4 mile @ 5k pace followed by 1/4 mile jog and cool down.  The warm-up was OK but I felt the tightness in my right knee.  However, after each interval, the pain in my right knee increased and finally, on the last interval I stopped for fear I might do some real damage.  In hindsight, I should have stopped earlier or not even started.

I walked a couple laps to try and cool-down and hope that the pain would subside but it only did so nominally. As I mentioned previously, I have been experiencing discomfort in my knee but it usually went away immediately after the run.  This time, the pain has persisted for more than a day now and hurts whenever I extend my right leg, step down, or perform a lifting maneuver.  It is a dull, general pain located near the bottom and slightly behind my knee cap.  It is not tender to touch.  I figure best case: patellar tendonitis, rest and recovery.  Worst case, a meniscus injury.  I'm going to rest it for a few days and see how it feels.

I've previously had issues with patellar tendonitis when I had a more pronounced heel strike so it makes sense that it would manifest itself again after changing my gait to compensate for my perception that the stress fracture was being re-activated. The knee pain only started after I started compensating in this manner so hopefully, I can let it heel a little bit, revert to my mid/forefoot strike and not get another stress fracture nor lose too much time from my training plan.

If it persists through tomorrow without improvement ,I'll make Ortho appointment.  Grrr...

No comments:

Post a Comment