Monday, January 16, 2012

The Suck

I've been off from running for the better part of the last 3 weeks due to my knee issue.

Jan 4 & 6: Ran 3 miles each with minimal discomfort.
Jan 7: Biked 55 miles. Knee hurt after 15-20 miles and had to compensate over the rest of the distance
Jan 12: 1 hour on the elliptical, discomfort started after about 50 minutes
Jan 14: Attempted to run 7 miles but knee started hurting after .5 miles and ended up walking a fair amount, totaled 2 miles.

Based on the recommendation of a doctor friend, I've started doing leg extensions with a resistance band and stretching more but it seems to be having an adverse effect. After more self-diagnosis, I looked into treatment for runner's knee and have introduced some lightweight squats and lunges.

I have multiple sports medicine orthopedic appointments scheduled. Recommendations from a friend resulted in appointments with Dr. Johnson and Dr. Bennett but the earliest they could get me in was more than a month down the road (mid-Feb). Therefore, I am meeting with Dr. Danziger this Wednesday (1/18) followed by a complimentary meeting with Robert Gillanders at Sports and Spinal in DC. We'll see what they say but I may have to shut down the Comrades training or adjust the topic to injury recovery. FML.

No comments:

Post a Comment