Thursday, February 2, 2012

Stagnation

I've been back to Sonya a couple times and there hasn't been any noticeable improvement in my knee. Sonya suggested that if things are still not improving over the next two weeks that I go back to the orthopedist and get an MRI. That does not bode well.

Yesterday (2/1), she added some new activities to my rehab, these focus on strengthening the knee. In addition to the stretching and side leg lifts I've been doing since I started, she has me doing these:


  • Bosu Ball squats. With Flat part of bosu ball up, legs shoulder-width apart, perform 3x10 squats ensuring that legs are moving in one axis and not tracking inward.
  • Modified Lunge. Get into lunge position and perform lunge ensuring front knee does not extend past front foot and knees do not track inward. 2x20.
  • Step Downs. One-leg step downs front 2x20, each leg, each direction, ensure knees do not move inward.


Also, for years I've felt my left shoulder socket has been off, starting with a church softball game in high school when I over-swang (sp?) and pulled it out of the socket. Sonya gave me the following strength exercises to improve the stabilizer muscles in my shoulder.


  • With back against the wall and elbows touching the wall, forearms out 90 degrees with palms up. Rotate arms outward staying at 90 degrees and touch the wall. 3x10. If that is not a problem, stand with back against wall top of hands touching wall at waist level. Raise hands above head while maintaining contact with the wall. 3x10.
  • Take a ball and extend arm forward, holding ball against the wall and make sure shoulders are square to the wall. Makes circles with palm on ball and rotate 10 times clockwise and 10 times counter-clockwise; repeat 3 times.
  • Lay on stomach with arms at sides. Pinch shoulder blades together as a first move and then raise arms off the ground. If that is too easy, add some light weights to increase resistance. 3x10.
Sonya also said that if I want to try running again, that I need to approach it in 30 minutes increments according to the following breakdown.
1 minute run, 4 minutes walk. Once that doesn't hurt..
2 minutes run, 3 minutes walk. Once that doesn't hurt..
3 minutes run, 2 minutes walk. Once that doesn't hurt..
4 minutes run, 1 minute walk. Once that doesn't hurt..
Gradually increase time and distance.

Clearly, I still have a ways to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment