Friday, February 17, 2012

Time for an MRI

Another couple weeks and nothing to show for it. I have had a couple decent runs. Last Friday after visiting Sonya, she taped my knee with some cover roll and lueko tape. The idea is to pull my kneecap inward. Running with it was an improvement but walking more uncomfortable than running. I have since run without taping and it has been about the same so the taping didn't really do much. I was feeling good about things after running Wednesday when pain was minimal but it increased again today while running the 2/3 intervals. Again, the pain/discomfort was worse when walking. While running, I have been able to maintain an aggressive forefoot strike and it has become much more comfortable.

Biking has been less painful although I don't seem to have the same leg strength while working the indoor trainer, i.e. it's been more difficult to maintain 20mph than it was previously. Swimming has gotten better, in large part because I have been kicking from my hip instead of my quads. Also, the strength routine I'm on, including a fair number of pull-ups, seems to have given me a bit stronger stroke. I've also been focusing on maintaining a good body roll through the stroke.

This week Sonya had me add:

  • One-legged ball pick-up squats (one leg at a time, one leg in air behind body, squat down to pick up a ball. Stand up, squat down to replace it on the ground. 20 reps each leg)
  • Lateral hip exercises (theraband at ankles, walk laterally ~20 steps in each direction)
  • Foot arch strengthening activities (with heel, ball and toes on ground, arch foot). These are all intended to work the whole system of me leg.


After more than a month of PT and performing the recommended exercises at home, I would expect that there has been some strengthening of the supposedly guilty muscle groups. This leads me to believe it may be a more serious issue. Therefore, next week I have an appointment to see Dr. David Johnson for a second opinion and hopefully, an MRI. The MRI should provide some additional details regarding cartilage depth that the Xray could not.

I looked into Comrades policy for transfer for a registration. They only allow substitution meaning that somebody wishing to get into the closed race needs to finds somebody that cannot or no longer wishes to do it. I'm thinking I may try and find somewhere to post the bib and perhaps get paid back by the substitute for the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment